One injured after chemical fire

A research assistant is injured after a chemical spill caused a small classroom fire on the fifth floor of the Science and Research building around 10 a.m. Thursday.

Eyewitnesses to the incident said the male’s face and hands were red, and a pharmacy student said the chemical that caused the fire is metal hydrate.

Police say the victim received second-degree burns from the fire. He was taken to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital for treatment. His name has not yet been released. The chemical is said to have spread when it came in contact with moisture in the laboratory. The fire has since been extinguished. Students and professors have been ordered to stay clear of the building until further notice.

Be sure to check back with for updates on this story.