‘Insomniacs’ lose more than sleep when party ends early

Many Perry’s Lounge patrons were disappointed homecoming weekend after the early morning party “Insomnia” ended as soon as it began.

For many people, “Insomnia,” which was supposed start Sunday morning at 2 a.m. and end at 8 a.m., was to be the after party for the after party, while for others it was the only party.

But no matter what it was, it did not happen.

Under Tallahassee’s city ordinance section 3-5 it states, “It shall be unlawful for any owner or operator of a bottle club to allow any bottle club to remain open for the transaction of any business of any kind between the hours of 2:30 a.m. and 6 a.m.”

Not only was there no party, but because of police interference around 2:30 a.m., there were no refunds either.

Brittney Brown, a 19-year-old freshman nursing student from Bradenton, said, “I bought tickets at the door. They took my money, and that was it.”

She said she was not even in the club for 20 minutes before it began shutting down.

“They said the management had to close down the club and gave no real reason,” Brown said.

Brown explained that people were mad and refusing to leave, and that is when TPD showed up.

“Club owner Perry took my name and phone number down but never called,” Brown said.

Without receipts or tickets it will be difficult for people to get a refund, but if the money can be found, the list of names will help.

Brown, like many other partygoers, wants her money back but said she does not know where to go.

Officer R. Jenkins from the Tallahassee Police Department said he was unable to find a police report because no arrests were made, and the party liaisons could not be found.

In order to disburse refunds, the person who collected the money needs to be located. Club owner Carlton Perry said, “It was unfortunate. We stayed here ’til 5 in the morning making a list of all the people who showed up.”

Perry was not able to provide the list of names at the time, but he said he has it.

“Mitch gave me $400 to rent out the club from 2 until 8 in the morning, and I know that there were pre-sold tickets,” he said.

Perry said he did not have a contract with Mitch and does not know Mitch’s last name. He estimated that Mitch and the others involved made about “$5,000 or $6,000.”

Owning a club or having a liquor license requires one to be knowledgeable of the city’s ordinance, which says clubs cannot operate during the hours of 2:30 a.m. and 6 a.m.

Perry’s argument for knowingly renting out the club, which goes against the city’s ordinance is, “Why can Mount Zion be open till whenever they want and they have a liquor license?”

A representative from Mount Zion Calypso Café said it manages to stay open so late because it has a restaurant, but no liquor is sold after 2 a.m.

The investigation will continue, and it is hoped that a formal refund process will result. It is important that students who bought tickets hold on to them or put their name on the list at the club.