More than 100 gather in prayer for student

Family and friends of Malcolm “Big Shot” Parkinson held a prayer gathering at the Eternal Flame Friday to pray for the recovery of the Florida A&M University student who suffered from an aneurysm while walking on campus.

The 18-year-old freshman business student from Washington, collapsed while walking in front of the Cafe Thursday afternoon. He was rushed to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital and put into a medically induced coma.

The 6 p.m. prayer gathering was organized by the several members of the freshman class, along with help from SGA officials. Over 100 people assembled at the Eternal Flame to pray and to recall memories of Parkinson from his past year at FAMU.

“I met Malcolm last semester and it has been the most memorable experience. I’m thankful for you all coming out to support him. Pray hard,” said Sean Mitchell, 19, a freshman business administration student from Ft. Lauderdale.

Most students may be familiar with Parkinson as “DJ Big Shot”, a member of the on campus entertainment organization called The Embassy. He, along with his collaborator Anthony “DJ Clean” McLean, has worked as a disc jockey for several events on campus and hosts a show on WANM 90.5 Saturday afternoons from 1-4 p.m.

“I’m just trying to help out the family. I’ve known him for a year and he’s one of my best friends,” said McLean, 18, a freshman business administration student from Washington, D.C.

He said the DJ pair initially started out with the purpose of bringing the freshman class together, but now has the “goal to go beyond FAMU.”

McLean, who was present at the scene when the ambulance arrived, described the situation as “kind of a shock.”

He said that those who were crowded around him assumed that he had suffered a heat stroke and tried to give him water.

Parkinson’s uncle Kamel Radder, who is a Tallahassee resident, said he was initially diagnosed as a “hopeless case” because his brain was saturated with blood.

He was put under heavy sedation while doctors monitored his progress.

At the prayer gathering, Radder announced that Parkinson’s vital signs were normal and his blood had began clotting again.

Parkinson was flown to Shands HealthCare, the hospital affiliated with the University of Florida in Gainesville, Saturday.

There, he will have three to five neurologists assigned to him while he recovers.

The doctors confirmed that the aneurysm was the effect of natural causes.

He still remains in a comatose state although the rest of his vital signs are stable.

Doctors say that Parkinson has a 90 percent chance of surviving.

His immediate and extended family have also joined him in Gainesville and are waiting for the doctors’ next plan of action, which they expect to hear Tuesday.

“They’re in it for the long haul. They’re going to stick by him until he walks out of here, Lord willing,” Radder said.

Parkinson’s parents will attend to their son in rotational shifts, alternating between Gainesville and Washington, D.C.

Friends of Parkinson began collecting donations to cover hospital expenses Friday.

“Above all else we want to help out with the hospital bills. I’m really glad to see how much effort everyone is putting into it. Don’t count him out yet; Shot’s a strong dude,” said Stevario Windhom, 19, a freshman business administration student from Macon, Ga.

Donations will continue to be collected throughout the week.

Any businesses or organizations interested in contributing to Malcolm Parkinson’s medical expenses are asked to contact Sean Mitchell at (954) 687-3644.

Contact Samantha R. Long at