New Dorms to Open at Polkinghorne Site in Fall 2013
Florida A&M students can look forward to the construction of a new residence hall that is scheduled for a fall 2013 opening.
The 800-bed facility will be located at the existing Polkinghorne Village site, behind The Café, and is estimated to cost the university $44 million.
A recent update of a previous study done in 2007, the Comprehensive Plan for Student Housing, was finalized Nov. 8. One objective of the project is to estimate demand for student housing based on enrollment trends, housing capacity, participation trends and the cost of living in university housing. Between 2006 and 2010, total enrollment increased by 1,891 students -- 18 percent.
Samuel J. Houston, director of the office of facilities planning and construction, said, “This will be bigger and better. It is the role of the university to cater to the future, our students.” He said another residential facility would increase revenue for the university.
Phase one of the project included the renovation of Samson and Young Hall that opened last August. Phase two, which is the completion of the 800-dormitory residency hall, is scheduled for completion by July.
Ariah Wooden, a second-year, architecture student from Tallahassee, stays in Palmetto Street South. Spending her first year in Truth Hall, she said she feels her new residence is a downgrade.
“Although I’m living in a facility where I can cook, I do not have enough space for all of my stuff,” Wooden said.
Deboris Ellis, a first-year, engineering student from Melbourne, Fla. spent his first year at FAMU living in newly renovated Samson Hall.
“I am excited to be living in the new dorms. I hope the other dorms get renovated like this,” he said.Once Polkinghorne is completed, the renovation of Diamond and McGuinn Halls will start.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Famuan News Articles
Recent The Famuan News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE FAMUAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE FAMUAN NEWS
- Diaspora Dialogues Brings Cuban Healthcare Diplomacy to Light
- Gem of the Ocean premieres at FAMU
- Clinton to Rally for Graham at FAMU
- FAMU Unidos and Sigma Lambda Gamma Break the Stereotypes
- Advising On The Set
- FAMU ESSENTIAL THEATRE CREATOR DIES
- Leon County Humane Society Presents “HallowKitty Costume Carnival”
RECENT THE FAMUAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Empowering People to Regain Their Mobility
- On-Site Workplace Health Clinics Emphasize Chiropractic Care
- 5 Important Tips for Choosing a Medicare Health Plan
- Welcome Your Holiday Guests With Inviting Lighting
- A New Prescription for Finding the Right Doctor
- Be on the Lookout for These Invasive Species
- It's Official: Women Are the Decision-Makers Even When It...
- Where the Jobs Are: Why Relocating May Be the Best Option
- Value of Education Brings Success Among Unique Student...
- Is Faith Really a Good Thing?
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Renowned Engineer Ric Bradshaw Conducts Fujifilm-Sponsored Campus Tour on Tape Technology
- 5 DAYS ONLY! Semi Annual Consignment Sale!
- Leading Digital Strategists Transform Digital Marketing In Business and Academia
- USA NETWORK AND VERIZON CHARACTERS UNITE COLLEGE TOUR TO VISIT SEVEN CAMPUSES ACROSS THE COUNTRY, ENGAGING STUDENTS TO COMBAT DISCRIMINATION AND DATING ABUSE
- OH HONEY ARE “SINCERELY YOURS” WITH NEW EP // HONDA CIVIC TOUR