New Dorms to Open at Polkinghorne Site in Fall 2013
Florida A&M students can look forward to the construction of a new residence hall that is scheduled for a fall 2013 opening.
The 800-bed facility will be located at the existing Polkinghorne Village site, behind The Café, and is estimated to cost the university $44 million.
A recent update of a previous study done in 2007, the Comprehensive Plan for Student Housing, was finalized Nov. 8. One objective of the project is to estimate demand for student housing based on enrollment trends, housing capacity, participation trends and the cost of living in university housing. Between 2006 and 2010, total enrollment increased by 1,891 students -- 18 percent.
Samuel J. Houston, director of the office of facilities planning and construction, said, “This will be bigger and better. It is the role of the university to cater to the future, our students.” He said another residential facility would increase revenue for the university.
Phase one of the project included the renovation of Samson and Young Hall that opened last August. Phase two, which is the completion of the 800-dormitory residency hall, is scheduled for completion by July.
Ariah Wooden, a second-year, architecture student from Tallahassee, stays in Palmetto Street South. Spending her first year in Truth Hall, she said she feels her new residence is a downgrade.
“Although I’m living in a facility where I can cook, I do not have enough space for all of my stuff,” Wooden said.
Deboris Ellis, a first-year, engineering student from Melbourne, Fla. spent his first year at FAMU living in newly renovated Samson Hall.
“I am excited to be living in the new dorms. I hope the other dorms get renovated like this,” he said.Once Polkinghorne is completed, the renovation of Diamond and McGuinn Halls will start.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Famuan News Articles
Recent The Famuan News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE FAMUAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE FAMUAN NEWS
- Citizens React to Police Brutality
- Townsend Returns to FAMU as Interim Athletic Director
- FAMU places 3rd, awarded $10,000 in HBCU Challenge
- All Saint Hop Yard Kick Off No Shave November
- Alpha Xi Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Host All Male Seminar
- "Cat-calling" Video Receives Surprising Backlash
- FAMU Student Finds Success in Self Made Fitness Program
RECENT THE FAMUAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists