FAMU student killed in gunfire
Florida A&M University student Michelle Coleman, 21, died this morning after suffering from bullet wounds while at a party in Miami 's Overtown neighborhood Monday morning.
According to police, three armed men dressed in all black opened fire on the crowd at 12:45 a.m. hitting 12 people, including Coleman. Coleman was the first injured partygoer to die from the shooting spree while others still remain hospitalized.
According to police, one woman has been released.Coleman was shot three times in the chest, kidney and liver, according to Larry Coleman, the victim's uncle.
He said his niece enjoyed working with children this summer.
"She loved kids and enjoyed her job at the daycare," Larry said.
FAMU student Rodney Thompson, 24, a criminal justice student from Miami described Coleman as a loving and brave woman.
"She had a good heart and was a strong person…she knew how to make the best out of a bad situation," Thompson said.
Coleman's last Facebook status on July 3 said, "I stretch my hands to thee, Lord let your will be done."
So far, there has been no word of a candlelight vigil to be held at FAMU.
The Miami Police Department are still searching for suspects and urging anyone with information to come forward and call (305) 579-6530 or Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers at (305) 471-8477.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Famuan News Articles
Recent The Famuan News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE FAMUAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE FAMUAN NEWS
- Glory to God: The story of Desmond Lockhart
- Students explore entrepreneurism
- Engineering day allows graduates to give back to FAMU
- Christian school to introduce 'Meridian Run'
- SGA hosts forum for proposal to split the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering
- Romance after graduation
- Housing fair to inform residents on forclosure
RECENT THE FAMUAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care