Religion, Homosexuality Takes Stage in 'The Contract' This Weekend
The Essential Theatre presents "The Contract," a play that wrestles with homosexuality, an issue that is usually swept under the rug in the black church.
"At many churches when this issue arises it's kept a secret," said James Walker, a fourth year criminal justice student, from Fort. Lauderdale.
Playwright and FAMU alum James Webb searches for the correlation between "Gay and God."
The lead character is a married pastor with homosexual desires he secretly dates men hired by his wife who refuses to lose her congregation and image to her husband's wants and habits.
The pastor proclaims his right to the practice of homosexuality at his Birmingham church.
"In my three years at FAMU, I haven't heard of a play that touches on a diverse topic of this sort until now, I think it is going to be interesting and relevant to what is going on today in churches, and is going to raise a lot of questions," said John Mason, a third-year engineering student from Jacksonville, Fla.
A forum is scheduled immediately following the 2 p.m. matinee performance on, Feb. 4. The topic is "Homosexuality and the Black Church" led by FAMU religion program faculty members Velma Love, A. Nevell Owens and Webb.
"The Contract" will feature James Webb, Kiahran Adams and Marci Duncan.
General admission is $12 for adults, $9 for senior citizens, $7 for students and $5 for FAMU students with valid ID, according to the FAMU website.
"Instead of going to the RedBox this weekend I'm going to go check out the play," said Alexis Sangria, a second-year nursing student from Miami.
The box office is located on the first floor of Tucker Hall and will be open only the days of performance.
The Ronald O. Davis Acting Studio is in an intimate space. Arriving 30 minutes prior to curtain is recommended for seating. For more information, call (850) 561-2425.
Show runs tonight, Thu., Fri. at 8 p.m., Sat. 2-8 p.m., Sun. at 3 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Famuan News Articles
Recent The Famuan News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE FAMUAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE FAMUAN NEWS
- Citizens React to Police Brutality
- Townsend Returns to FAMU as Interim Athletic Director
- FAMU places 3rd, awarded $10,000 in HBCU Challenge
- All Saint Hop Yard Kick Off No Shave November
- Alpha Xi Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Host All Male Seminar
- "Cat-calling" Video Receives Surprising Backlash
- FAMU Student Finds Success in Self Made Fitness Program
RECENT THE FAMUAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family Fun: Indoor Trampoline Parks Grow by Leaps and Bounds
- Popping the Question Over the Holidays? What Every Guy...
- Helping Golfers Stay in the Swing With Chiropractic Care
- Conserve Energy This Winter by Choosing the Right Windows
- ACA Marketplace Complicates Tax Returns -- May Delay 2015...
- Gifts That Wow, and What They Say About You
- Millennial Travel Is on the Rise
- Taking Care on and off the Sports Field
- Are You a Candidate for Chiropractic Care?
- Worried About Ebola? What's Keeping You Safe at the...
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- NEEBO COLLEGE TEXTBOOK SAVINGS TIP: SELL EARLY, BUY EARLY AND SAVE BIG
- Draper University's Tim Draper Hosts YouNoodle Live Featuring Student Entrepreneurs From Around The World
- NATIONAL SURVEY REVEALS CONFLICTED MINDSET OF COLLEGE STUDENTS ABOUT ADHD PRESCRIPTION STIMULANT MISUSE, ABUSE AND DIVERSION
- 7 Tips to Fuel for Finals
- LINE Webtoon Launches Challenge League, a New Discovery Feature for Webcomic Creators and Aspiring Artists