Religion, Homosexuality Takes Stage in 'The Contract' This Weekend
The Essential Theatre presents "The Contract," a play that wrestles with homosexuality, an issue that is usually swept under the rug in the black church.
"At many churches when this issue arises it's kept a secret," said James Walker, a fourth year criminal justice student, from Fort. Lauderdale.
Playwright and FAMU alum James Webb searches for the correlation between "Gay and God."
The lead character is a married pastor with homosexual desires he secretly dates men hired by his wife who refuses to lose her congregation and image to her husband's wants and habits.
The pastor proclaims his right to the practice of homosexuality at his Birmingham church.
"In my three years at FAMU, I haven't heard of a play that touches on a diverse topic of this sort until now, I think it is going to be interesting and relevant to what is going on today in churches, and is going to raise a lot of questions," said John Mason, a third-year engineering student from Jacksonville, Fla.
A forum is scheduled immediately following the 2 p.m. matinee performance on, Feb. 4. The topic is "Homosexuality and the Black Church" led by FAMU religion program faculty members Velma Love, A. Nevell Owens and Webb.
"The Contract" will feature James Webb, Kiahran Adams and Marci Duncan.
General admission is $12 for adults, $9 for senior citizens, $7 for students and $5 for FAMU students with valid ID, according to the FAMU website.
"Instead of going to the RedBox this weekend I'm going to go check out the play," said Alexis Sangria, a second-year nursing student from Miami.
The box office is located on the first floor of Tucker Hall and will be open only the days of performance.
The Ronald O. Davis Acting Studio is in an intimate space. Arriving 30 minutes prior to curtain is recommended for seating. For more information, call (850) 561-2425.
Show runs tonight, Thu., Fri. at 8 p.m., Sat. 2-8 p.m., Sun. at 3 p.m.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Famuan News Articles
Recent The Famuan News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE FAMUAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE FAMUAN NEWS
- Glory to God: The story of Desmond Lockhart
- Students explore entrepreneurism
- Engineering day allows graduates to give back to FAMU
- Christian school to introduce 'Meridian Run'
- SGA hosts forum for proposal to split the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering
- Romance after graduation
- Housing fair to inform residents on forclosure
RECENT THE FAMUAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Family-Friendly Programming Storms The Weather Channel
- Carrageenan: Sustainability From Farm to Table
- Every Room Tells a Story if You Set the Stage
- Guiding Treatment of Advanced Breast Cancer Using Subtypes
- Taking the High Road to Scotland
- Fall Foes: Watch out for These Stinging Insects
- Supporting Arts in Education
- Fishing and Boating are Great Activities for the Entire...
- Don't Get Blindsided by the Sticker Shock of College
- Your Online Reputation: Handle With Care