Dance team suspended
Florida A&M’s Interim President Larry Robinson suspended the Torque Dance Team after the university received an anonymous report from a parent about an alleged hazing incident.
According to the report, the incident took place off campus during Labor Day weekend.
This comes after Robinson recently lifted the ban on membership intake for all clubs and organizations following the death of drum major Robert Champion.
Some members were shocked to hear the news about the group’s recent suspension.
Dazsia Tucker, who has been a member of Torque for three years, said she wouldn’t believe it if the report turned out to be true.
“I believe Torque has made improvements,” said the third-year nursing student from West Palm Beach, Fla.
“We really just want to dance. That’s our main goal.”
The organization has been inactive since December 2011 because of the absence of an advisor, according to a statement released by the university.
A report released by FAMU’s Office of Communications stated that the dance team will be suspended until further notice, pending an investigation.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Famuan News Articles
Recent The Famuan News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE FAMUAN
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE FAMUAN NEWS
- New art mural arrives on Gaines Street
- K Camp performs at 5,000 Voters Strike
- Smoking Ban has Floridians Stunned
- Leon County Commissioners are working on Economic Development in Leon County
- 'Why Did I Get Married' actor speaks at Presidential Lecture Series
- Students injured in B-CU shooting
- Black history month in the Providence Community
RECENT THE FAMUAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- This Year, Make a Goal to Contribute More to Your 401(k)
- Giving the Elderly a Lift -- In Their Home
- 4-H Grown: Alumni Asked to Stand Up and Support STEM...
- Haven't Tried Sardines? Try These
- Weatherizing Your Home Can Mean Big Benefits
- 10 Tips to Stay Safe During Spring Break
- 10 Tips for Staying Safe During Spring Break
- 3 Things to Know Before Ride-Booking a Car
- For Advanced Heart Failure Patients, There Is Hope
- Bringing Chiropractic to the Little League
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- Potential health risks of hookah smoking are being overlooked by users
- Study Finds College-age Millennials Hopeful for the Future, Worry about Student Loans and Overspending
- RetailMeNot Helps Students Save Money on Spring Break Travel
- Visit Virtual Study Abroad Fair on February 25 to explore study abroad options and win prizes
- Students kill three birds with one stone