TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) — Florida A&M President James Ammons has resigned the same day parents of a drum major who died after being hazed added the university to a wrongful death lawsuit.
Ammons resigned Wednesday in a letter to the university governing board.
Robert Champion died in November after being beaten by fellow band members during a hazing ritual aboard a bus parked outside an Orlando hotel following a football game against the school's archrival.
Eleven FAMU band members face felony hazing charges, while two others face misdemeanor counts for alleged roles in the hazing. They have pleaded not guilty.
Champion's death put a spotlight on hazing at the school and led to the suspension of the band until at least next year.
The lawsuit brought by Champion's parents claims FAMU officials didn't take enough action to stop hazing.
Ammons had in May asserted that he would not resign. He told the Tallahassee Democrat he intended to stay on, and when asked again later by The Famuan, he insisted he would not quit.
FAMU's Board of Trustees had in June gave the president an 8-4 vote of no confidence for what they called his failure to lead the university through the crisis.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
From Around the Web
More The Famuan News Articles
Recent The Famuan News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THE FAMUAN NEWS
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THE FAMUAN NEWS
- Glory to God: The story of Desmond Lockhart
- Students explore entrepreneurism
- Engineering day allows graduates to give back to FAMU
- Christian school to introduce 'Meridian Run'
- SGA hosts forum for proposal to split the FAMU-FSU College of Engineering
- Romance after graduation
- Housing fair to inform residents on forclosure
RECENT THE FAMUAN CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Boomers Find Reason to Celebrate With Vacations
- Shave Strokes off Your Golf Game -- Without the Eraser
- Stay Cool With a Ceiling Fan as Stylish as It Is Functional
- Have a Blast With the Family This Summer, but Stay Safe
- Chiropractic Careers Are on the Rise
- Choosing the Right Home Health Care Agency
- Pop the Champagne Diamond for Your Seasonal Fashion...
- Managing Pain: Are You Reading Your Medicine Labels?
- Does Your Garbage Want to Be Recycled?
- You Can Quit