Pageantry and public health come together for Washington
The Best of Both Worlds:
As the school year winds down, FAMU doctoral candidate and reigning Miss Black Florida U.S. Ambassador Alexandria Washington’s year is just getting started.
The Miss Black U.S. Ambassador Program, which began in 2013, gives young, African-American women the opportunity to embark on a journey to serve as role models and a catalyst of change in their communities. The program also offers scholarship opportunities for the furthering of higher education.
After much needed encouragement from former Miss Black Florida U.S. Ambassador and FAMU alumna Kiaira Nixon and a grueling, in-depth application process, Washington was selected to succeed Nixon as Florida’s ambassador for the 2017-2018 year.
“I’m all about trying new things,” Washington said. “I took the leap and applied and now that I’ve been chosen, I just feel so blessed.”
Washington came to FAMU in 2009 after accepting an athletic scholarship from the Lady Rattlers softball team. Upon completion of her B.S. in Health Science in 2013 and subsequent master’s in Public Health in 2015, Washington is currently working toward a doctorate in Public Health.
Washington’s platform merges service and health in the form of a hashtag: #RepresentationMatters. Focusing on raising awareness of health inequities, leadership development seminars, and the promotion of leadership opportunities, Washington says having a seat at the table is only half of the battle.
“It’s not often that women of color and people of color are at the table,” Washington said. “So when you’re at the table, it’s important to help make decisions and let your voice be heard.”
As she prepares for the national competition and finishes another semester of doctoral studies towards her degree in public health, Washington shows no signs of slowing down. Balancing the two can prove challenging at times, but when her newfound passion meets her life’s purpose, any obstacle can be overcome.
“I’ve just found a way to intertwine everything that I’m doing,” Washington said. “One of the biggest things in public health are health disparities in poor communities, which happens when money isn’t allocated properly and equally. If I’m able to have a seat at the table and I use that seat to help relieve some of these disparities, that’s what it’s all about for me.”
The Miss Black USA Scholarship Pageant will take place from July 16 to July 23 and will be the first black pageant held at Disney World in Orlando, FL.
If you would like to support Washington in her pageant-related endeavors, visit her GoFundMe page https://www.gofundme.com/support-miss-black-fl-us-ambassador for more information.
Get Top Stories Delivered Weekly
More thefamuanonline News Articles
Recent thefamuanonline News Articles
Discuss This Article
MOST POPULAR THEFAMUANONLINE
GET TOP STORIES DELIVERED WEEKLY
FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER
LATEST THEFAMUANONLINE NEWS
- Breaking News: Grable re-elected as faculty senate president
- FAMU Spring 2017 Campaign Period
- Rattlers lose In the Opening Round of the MEAC Tournament
- Multimedia short course comes to FAMU
- Byron Samuels is heading out the door
- FAMU president discusses President Trump’s initiatives
- Get Out: Does race test a relationship?
RECENT THEFAMUANONLINE CLASSIFIEDS
FROM AROUND THE WEB
- Seniors Find That Doing Good Is Good For You
- University Students Take Top Honors at CME Group's Annual...
- Telecom and Cloud Service Options Expand in Africa
- Depression Sufferers Find Hope With New Sound Technology
- Going With Your Gut -- Virtual Colonoscopy Simplifies...
- Entrepreneurs Provide TIPS! Monthly Yield Now Makes Sense
- Amid Opioid Abuse Crisis, Back Pain Sufferers Look to...
- How an Ex-College Athlete Survived His Use of...
- Frustrated Seniors Are Often Served Meals They Dislike Or...
- Help Protect The Young Adult Lifestyle
COLLEGE PRESS RELEASES
- GREEN AMERICA: ONE MILLION TREES COULD BE SAVED EACH YEAR IF UNIVERSITIES SWITCHED TO ONLY RECYCLED PAPER FOR ALUMNI MAGAZINES
- Deadline Approaching for the Phi Kappa Phi Fellowship Program
- Entries Are Open for 9th Annual SVG/NACDA College Sports Media Awards
- Investor Bitcoin Investment Plans Guarantee Zero Losses
- New App Promises to Revolutionize the Way We Experience Video