Men’s basketball coach arrested for stalking (May 25, 2007)

Florida A&M head basketball coach Mike Gillespie Sr. was charged with stalking and booked into the Leon County Jail Friday afternoon.

Investigator Annette Garrett of the Tallahassee Police Department arrested Gillespie after complaints of stalking by a female victim which dates from March 2005 to the present.

TPD was notified of the alleged stalking Friday morning when the victim told authorities Gillespie showed up to her place of employment May 24 and May 25.

According to the police report Gillespie and the victim were involved in a romantic relationship from Sept. 2004 to March 2005.

Public Information Officer David McCranie said that several stalking investigations were conducted by police in 2005.

“The victim chose not to press charges in 2005 because she didn’t want to endanger the career of Gillespie,”McCranie said. “The entirety of all events in 2005 was handled and documented.”

Police described Gillespie’s behavior as being unusual especially by someone held at his regard.

“Gillespie was given two opportunities to come forward and give his side of the story and he didn’t so he was arrested,” McCranie said. “Anytime stalking is involved you have to be cautious.”

Members of the Rattler basketball team were baffled as they learned of the arrest of their coach.

“We were all shocked, I thought it was a joke at first until I saw it on the news, I just saw him in the office this morning,” said guard L.C. Robinson.

The senior guard said he hopes this incident just passes over and isn’t blown out of proportion.

“His demeanor was the same as it always is this morning as he joked around when I saw him before class,” said Lamar Twitty.

Leon County corrections officials confirmed Gillespie posted $1,000 bond and was released Friday evening.

Gillespie was coming off his fifth year as the Rattlers head coach leading the Rattlers to the NCAA Tournament after winning the 2007 MEAC title.

Stalking is a first-degree misdemeanor and carries a maximum penalty of up to one year in county jail.