Moving Forward With SeNita McRae
Each week The Famuan will bring its readers a different compilation of five important and interesting facts. This week’s five facts feature important health-related information. Take care of your body; it’s the only one you get!
1. Vitamin D helps the pancreas produce and respond to insulin. People with low concentrations of vitamin D in their blood produce less insulin; diabetes results from low insulin levels. To ensure that your levels stay up, drink milk fortified with vitamin D and take multivitamins daily.
2. Of the approximately 6 million new cases of Human Papillomavirus diagnosed in the United States every year, it is estimated that 74 percent of them occur in 15-to 24-year-olds.
3. All women 20 and older should perform breast self-examinations every month. Women 40 and older should get a clinical breast examination by a doctor or nurse every year.
4. The percentage of adults in Florida who smoke is 21.7 percent. The national average of adults who smoke is 20.6 percent.
5. If you are taking birth control, be sure to consult a doctor before using antibiotics. Some antibiotics cause birth control medications to be ineffective.